Hardest Hit Fund (HHF)
Homeowners who are having difficulty making their current mortgage payment may be eligible for assistance through the U.S. Department of Treasury's Hardest Hit Fund. The Hardest Hit Fund provides assistance to families in areas that have been hit hardest by the economic downturn.
- Loan Modification
- Mortgage Payment Assistance
- Transition Assistance Programs
Because HHF programs are designed and administered at the state level, homeowners need to apply directly with their state program. Once a homeowner is approved for a state program, PennyMac will work with the state to help the homeowner with their mortgage payments.
Don't delay; some states have already concluded the application process. State requirements and program details are subject to change. Please refer to your state's program for the most up-to-date information.
Steps to Get Assistance
Use our search tool on the right. Use this tool to view available programs in your state.
Apply for assistance. Visit your state's website to get program details and apply for assistance.
Receive Assistance. Once you're approved for a program, PennyMac will work with your state HHF program to provide you with assistance.
BE AWARE OF FORECLOSURE, GIFT CARD & LOAN SCAMS
- PennyMac does not charge fees for a modification or other loss mitigation plans when you are facing a delinquency.
- PennyMac will work with you to ensure every option possible is explored to retain homeownership. No fees. No strings.
- PennyMac does not accept payments from Money Gram.
- Funds are always payable to PennyMac and not to an individual.
- PennyMac does not accept gift cards as payment and will not call you and ask for a gift card number.
- Anyone who demands payment via gift card is always a scammer. Gift cards work like cash, once you’ve provided the number you will not be able to get your money back.
- Don’t be fooled! To learn more about Gift Card Scams, read the Federal Trade Commission’s article.
PennyMac will work with you to ensure every option possible is explored to retain home ownership. No fees. No strings.