& Payment Assistance
At PennyMac, our first concern is that families are safe when there is a disaster. Whether the storm caused damage to your home or your place of employment we know this may be a difficult time. We understand how important your home is to you and your family and want to remove some of the worry during this time so we are:
- Automatically waiving or refunding late fees for mortgage payments for impacted customers
- Suppressing negative reporting to credit bureaus
- Deploying on-site team to endorse insurance claim checks for those who meet criteria
If you anticipate any difficulty in making your payment from a disaster or related property damage, we are here to help review all options available to you. Please call our Customer Service team at (800) 777-4001 to speak to a Customer Service Representative. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 6am-6pm and Saturday, 7am-11am Pacific Time.
Disaster Forbearance Plans
One option that might be available to you is a Disaster Forbearance Plan. The Disaster Forbearance Plan provides short-term relief that allows you to stop making mortgage payments for up to three months following the date of the disaster to allow you to focus on more pressing concerns. There is no negative credit reporting during the Plan period and no late fees are charged. Those payments will need to be made after the Plan expires, but we provide assistance for those customers who need additional help bringing their account current. You will not be required to pay a lump sum for these payments.
While you are on the Disaster Forbearance Plan, we need you to check in with us each month to see if your circumstances have changed. As you near the end of the forbearance period, we will work with you to determine the best program to help you repay the amounts not paid during the forbearance period. Based on your circumstances, you can repay these amounts through one of the following programs:
- Repayment plan, in which an additional amount is added to your normal monthly payments to help you repay those amounts over a set period of time;
- Streamlined modification, where the terms of your loan may be permanently modified to help bring your loan current and provide more affordable payments without the need for financial documentation; or
- Other modification programs that depend on your individual circumstances.
In addition, for those who were significantly affected and require more long-term assistance, the Forbearance Plan period may be extended beyond the initial three-month period.
Update Your Contact Information and Access Account Information
If you have been temporarily relocated or there are postal delays in your community, please take advantage of our website. Our website is available 24/7, from your phone, tablet or PC at www.PennyMacUSA.com, where you can access your account information, update your contact information, view your statements and make a payment. To make the registration process easier, please have the following information available:
- Your PennyMac Loan Number
- Access to your email account
- Access to your mobile device
Steps To Take For Property Damage
- Contact your homeowner's and/or flood insurance provider. Report the damage, determine your coverage and file a claim. If you have flood damage and have flood insurance, you'll need to call that insurance provider too. You can visit the FEMA website for help on How to Fill Out Your Flood Claim.
- Register for Disaster Assistance. Visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call the registration phone number at (800) 621-FEMA (3362). Coverage may vary in your insurance policies and there may be resources available to you that are not covered under your insurance.
- If your damage is covered, your insurance provider will assign you an adjuster. The adjuster will come to your home to assess the property damage. While you work directly with your insurance provider, our Insurance Department is here to help answer any questions you have about the loss draft process. Just call us at (866) 314-0498. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 6am-6pm and Saturday, 7am-11am Pacific Time.
- If your damage is covered, your insurance company will send a loss draft check (or claim check) to you. This check will typically need to be endorsed by both you and PennyMac, your home loan company.
- Here is the required documentation needed in order to expedite the processing of your claim with us. For more information on the process:
- Endorsed Insurance Claim Check
- Insurance Company Adjuster's Worksheet
- Signed Contract/Proposal with your contractor
- Contractor's Waiver of Lien
- Contractor's Internal Revenue W-9
- Copy of the Contractor's License
Note: When you receive an insurance claim check, please call our Insurance Department at (866) 314-0498 for assistance. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 6am-6pm and Saturday, 7am-11am Pacific Time.
Additional Helpful Resources
If you need additional assistance, here are some helpful resources:
- Mortgage Bankers Association - Download Disaster Recovery: A Resource for Homeowners
- FEMA - Registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov is the quickest way to register for FEMA assistance. If you are unable to access the internet, you can also call at (800) 621-FEMA (3362).
- Red Cross - Visit the Get Help section of their website or call (800) RED-CROSS.
- United Way - Visit the Disaster Assistance section of their website or call 2-1-1.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - Visit the Financial Tool Kit for Victims of Hurricanes.